Everyone knows that getting to see a live performance is so much better than watching it on TV or even streaming it live. It is a totally different experience, and here are some reasons (in no particular order) why heading out to see a live dance performance should be on your 2019 “To Do” list.
- You miss a lot from your cozy couch – A lot of the time the cameras will just stay with the focal point of the performance, so you miss a lot or all of what goes on in the background that is supporting the primary focus.
- The opportunity for a true cultural experience – If you are lucky enough to be able to see a visiting dance company from another country, or see a performance from a group that specializes in a type of traditional cultural type of dance you will be introduced to a beautiful aspect of a culture you may not have known anything about before.
- Selfies, Snacks and Souvenirs – Maybe this isn’t the most important part of why you should go see a performance live, but you can’t beat the fun of being at a theater and doing a little shopping and picking out a snack and maybe a themed drink before the curtain!
- You will be a better dance student – Knowing what you do about developing technique, you will be able to take in and appreciate how challenging the movements are and you may notice different techniques you hadn’t yet seen as well.
- The atmosphere – The theater, the music, the costumes, the performers. When you are in the audience for a performance it is a shared experience with everyone around you. You most likely will have a different emotional reaction to the performance because of the people you are surrounded by and just simply being amazed by what you are watching right in front of you! Most experiences are better when they are shared and live performances are no exception. If you are traveling to see the performance you build up anticipation on the way and some of the most memorable parts of the day may be the journey to and from the performance!
- Inspiration – Seeing a live performance has always made me want to be up onstage. The thrill of watching how much fun the performers are having is just a fantastic boost to your own creativity, and will definitely have you back in the studio ready to improve and excited to dance!
- You Are Supporting the Arts – It is always important to support the arts, whether it be music, visual, or performance arts. These aspects of our culture and tradition can only be preserved if we make the effort to keep them alive by coming out to support those who dedicate their life to telling our stories and brining beauty into the world. The arts are able to bridge the gaps of our differences, even transcending language. Since you love dance, it definitely makes sense to keep the art form you love alive by grabbing some tickets for a show!
There are so many reasons to get out there and enjoy a live performance, but no matter what your reasons are, the enjoyment you get out of it will always be the part that stays with you as a dancer.
Are you seeing a live dance performance soon or have you seen a live dance performance recently? Let us know in the comments!