First, let me say I am so thriled to be writing this blog. Just getting back into touch with our DC family is more amazing than I can explain right now, so maybe it’s fitting that our first blog back will be about our magical Holiday Company Auditions.
You may have noticed that our Performance Companies are working a little differently this year. We are trying something new so that our parents and students can really focus on the different performance experiences available to DC Dancers. Our Holiday Company performs in December and brings our unique and fun brand of holiday cheer through “Step Into Christmas” a holiday show that raises funds to benefit Gavin’s Got Heart, the Islip Town Holiday Parade, and the Make-A-Wish of Suffolk County Holiday Party. These events bring the joy of the holidays to our community, and some have been part of the DC tradition for over a decade!
Auditions for this company are Monday, August 24th, schedules for specific times for each dance will be emailed to everyone who is signed up, and unlike our Recital Company Auditions, will be broken down into each specific dance and the selection process will take into account how quickly dancers can pick up the choreography. Don’t worry though! We have some great tips to get yourself ready to show us your holiday best.
- You should definitely get to know the dances! – You can click here to be taken to a folder with the Holiday Show dances. Watch through each dance and figure out which one(s) you’d like to audition for. Make sure to bookmark this link.
- Begin working through the choreography in the video. Start slow! Take small sections one at a time and work out the moves slowly, gradually building up to the proper speed.
- If you are having trouble with any of the moves, or want to be super prepared you can contact us at the studio to set up a private lesson with one of our teachers.
- Practice, practice, practice! – The best way to make sure you are ready is to put in some work so you can step confidently into the audition.
- Take a deep breath, and SMILE! – Always remember that your teachers and your fellow dancers are there to cheer you on and support you! We are looking to cast everyone that we are able to, so remember that as you go through each dance audition.
Once auditions have concluded the teachers will get together to make decisions on casting, and the cast will be notified by email by September 1. We are so excited to welome you back into the studio, and we can’t wait to see you at auditions!