Today we are featuring Miss Melissa in our latest edition of “Getting to Know You”! The “Getting to Know You” series helps us get to know each of the Dance Connection teachers and staff we get to see at the studio every week and learn a little bit more about them.
- What is your favorite thing about teaching dance? My favorite thing about being a dance teacher is watching my students grow throughout the dance year. I love seeing them learn new steps and gain confidence as dancers. A lot of my classes are our younger dancers, I just love seeing them grow up! Some of the Terrific Twos start the year barely talking and by the end they have the cutest, and best personalities.
- What’s the most daring thing you’ve done? I’m not a very daring person but there are two memories that come to mind. I went parasailing with my husband while we were on vacation in Mexico. Also, Miss Mary took the DC staff indoor skydiving. I was so nervous but it ended up being so fun!
- What is your favorite childhood memory? When I was growing up, I always said I wanted a sister. When I was 12 years old, my baby sister was born. I was so excited to do sister things with her and as she got older I also was her dance teacher.
- What is your favorite hobby? I love spending time with my family. I also love shopping. Target and The Christmas Tree Shops are my favorites!
- Who was your favorite dance teacher when you were a child, and why? Miss Tracy is one of the reasons why I’m still teaching today. I never had her as my own teacher but she was my mentor when I became a teacher. I was her student teacher for years, she taught me so much about teaching younger dancers, and I just loved being with her on Saturday mornings.
- What song would you sing at Karaoke? “Shut Up and Dance”